I'm terrible at posting consistently...

It's been a while since I've posted stuff, but I figure if I force myself to post once a week I'll be able to at least make progress on things I want to work on instead of being just paralyzed with all the things I want to do and end up watching TV.

This blog initially started out with a dumb hardware project and is very cringe-y to look back on, but since then I think my skills for building robot related things have improved. It's funny to look at my last post about being able to control my lights with a bunch of hacks, and now I have a smart speaker and smart lights and it all works so easily off the shelf now.

Coming to this blog new now, will be my endeavors in music I think? Since this blog is named just "projects", I think I'll also post about my music projects too. Those are projects too right?

Anyway there are 2 main projects I want to focus on right now, hacking a cheap RC car and controlling it with an Xbox controller, and recording a cover EP.

RC Car Hack

I just went out today and bought a stupid cheap clearance RC car from Fry's. 

Cheap RC car and other random stuff.

I also bought a small h-bridge which surprisingly I didn't actually have one in all my junk. (I guess I had my "Talon ESC", but I think that would have been insufficient for this because I think it has 2 motors and it's current rating is complete overkill [probably]?) I plan on ripping this RC car open and using and Arduino with an Xbee shield to talk to my computer which will also have an Xbee and my xbox one controller. It's been a while since I've used ROS extensively so I might be a little rusty but I plan on writing a node to send data over xbee? There's probably an off the shelf node for that anyway....

Not very well thought through, but yeah. I'll probably make another blog post tomorrow or something with an update on this effort.

Recording an EP

I've started looking into recording an EP of 4 cover songs. I've started searching on ultimateguitar.com for tabs and stuff and for guitar pro files that I might be able to use to start working on some stuff. I plan on using these files for I suspect though not all the songs I'm looking for will have guitar pro files. Actually I know that for a fact, and I've started writing a backing track in guitar pro. I think my arrangement might sound a little wonky, but hey, covers aren't supposed to carbon copies of the original song right? I guess I should set a goal of finishing up my drum tracks by two weeks from now?

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the following as a starting point for a custom ROS library back in August 2015
    http://wiki.ros.org/rosserial_xbee/Tutorials/Example%20Network

    But honestly, you might be better off just using a simple Bluetooth connection, SoftwareSerial, and Arduino. I have a short old post with some info about how to use simple serial messaging and a couple of comments about using esp8266
    https://maitreyanaik.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/softwareserial-and-arduino-3/

    PS:
    Subscribe to my blog and inspire me to post more? :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment