New EP Release - Taking Cover

TL;DR:


It look a lockdown for me to finish a cover EP that I started on sometime last year. This cover EP is sort of an eclectic mix of a bunch of stuff that I felt like I really wanted to cover. The tracks were songs that at the time seemed to resonate with me within the last couple of years. Below are a few thoughts I had about the songs at I covered:
  1. I'm Over It - Blushh: I first discovered Blushh at a show this other band called Partner was headlining. I was instantly hooked to their vibe and later after that show I went looking for their music. There's a special quality to short but good songs that I really enjoy. The original track clocks in at 2:13 and my cover clocks in at just under 2 minutes. According to Shab, the title was derived from a piece of clothing from Forever 21, but I still think the other lyrics are really relevant. I think everyone experiences setbacks, and you gotta keep getting over them. Everyone need to get from "It's not fine it never was" to "It's alright I'm moving on".
  2. Sour Candy - Bleached: This song I came across when I wanted to give a listen to some of the bands that were playing a miniature music festival called Uncool Halloween. There's a quality to the song's melodies that I really enjoy during the chorus which I can't really put into words, and of course I enjoy some of the lyrics as well. I think when I first moved out to California, I often attending concerts alone, and being the more introverted person that I am, I never found myself chatting with other concert-goers. The lead in into the chorus "What in the world was I thinking when I said 'hello'?" was something I wish I was able to bring myself to do. I tried living vicariously through those lyrics.
  3. 明天會更好 - 羅大佑: This song is a pretty old song released in 1985 released as a charity single. The title translates to "Tomorrow Will Be Better" in English. At the time it was released for supporting aid to Africa, and pulled together many many artists from Chinese speaking areas in Asia. The final lyric in the final chorus in English roughly translates to "Let's encourage the youth to be proud, and we can expect Tomorrow Will Be Better". I think it's an optimistic song for a time where we can definitely be more optimistic for the future.
  4. American Jesus - Bad Religion: This song was released in 1993; that's about how old I am as a person. Despite being such an old song, it's a little disappointing to see how relevant it still remains today. It tackles problematic American rhetoric and ideals. I think the lyrics "I feel sorry for the earth's population, because so few live in the USA. At least the foreigners can copy our morality, they can visit but they cannot stay", still carries so much weight. The xenophobia that America still has today is still sadly prevalent 27 years after this song's release. Every one deserves living with dignity, respect, and equal rights, and it should not be "only precious few [that] can garner the prosperity", if the United States is as great as people say it is.
These covers are on most streaming platforms: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/status2/taking-cover

To support the release, I think I'm gonna do a mini virtual concert tour. The dates and times are as follows (https://www.facebook.com/events/3019934788095865):

  • Night 1 - 5/1 @ 7:30PM PST
  • Night 2 - 5/2 @ 4:30PM PST
  • Matinee 3 - 5/3 @ 1:30PM PST

Comments