Hello Blogosphere!

Hello Blogosphere!

I'm Status, a college student at UIUC. I think I'm a born tinkerer, and extremely obsessed with FIRST Robotics. Alas there is no such thing as collegiate FIRST. In order to cope I do a variety of robotics related things at college, including the Jerry Sanders Design Competition. I guess I'm droning on...

The point of this blog is to share with the world what I'm going to be doing with my free time this summer (outside of some community college courses I'll be working on). (sadly as a freshman, companies judge you and assume you have no skills)

My first project I'll be tackling is what I like to call my "Kick Assist".

I rather enjoy the compactness of my primary mode of transportation at university. My trusty Razor Scooter. This guy right here. The thing is it has a major short coming. Given the fact you propel the scooter by kicking against the ground, there is no constant force that you can apply against the ground. This is especially noticeable on many a windy day I have encountered. You stop almost instantly after you give a good ahrd kick.

You might be asking, so why Status, do you not want to motorize your scooter, or moreover just purchase one?

I have indeed seriously contemplated motorizing my scooter. Upon some research it appears that most motorized scooters are much larger than mine, and the feasibility of fitting the required motors and batteries on to it is simply impractical.

Secondly, I don't know where motorized scooters lie on the legality of operation without a licence. Or perhaps operation on a side walk? But motorizing a human seems like a rarely dealt with issue.

So the following is a general mechanical plan of the mechanism I'm planning on constructing.

It's a simple concept, I'm going to attach a motor to a wheel, and this will be mounted to a frame which will be attached to my shoe. I'll be putting two threaded rods through the sole of an old shoe to mount the set up I have for preliminary testing.

The photos shown still have major flaws and incomplete concepts that I'll need to address. some space clearances and the angle frame is probably going to need to machined in my parents' garage, but I'll likely be a little lazy about how I'm going to implement something to hold the bent aluminum. We'll see how this goes...





Comments

  1. I've said this before, but I want to make sure that this is on the record: this is a terrible idea. Make sure that your health insurance and/or will are in order.

    Other than that, awesome. Looks cool. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment