Parts are coming... EXCITED

Last night I officially ordered parts for this project. They should be here by tomorrow. I'll be visiting my old high school tomorrow, so I won't be able to fully dive in though.

Today I moved my tools to my work spot and I also went out and bought a vise. (I thought about posting a photo, but who's not seen a vise before? XD)

Anywho, I just remembered that I actually need to code my arduino to control the damn thing. So I'll be working on that tonight or something. It'll be an easy control scheme really. A potentiometer to determine the speed and a push button to tell it to go.

Speaking of speed, I thought about doing some calculations and a bit on the logic of how I decided on my gear ratios and what not.

The motor I'm using is the 2.5" CIM motor standard in FIRST FRC. At max efficiency, it runs at about 4614 RPM. The gear box I ran that to is a CIMple gearbox from Andy Mark, and that has a gear ratio of about 4.67:1, so the output shaft is probably going to be going about 988 RPM. The diameter of the wheel I'm using is an 8" diameter, and with basic geometry and unit conversion, we know that the speed of the speed of the unit is going to be about (8*pi*988) in/minute, which is about 23.51 MPH. This is rather concerning, seeing as this is in the range of bike speeds making my potentiometer "tuning" all the more imperative.

Stay tuned for more!

Comments